Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Barcelona, Inc.

First of all, sorry for my laziness... I knew I should have written something before, but these last 2 weeks have been quite busy for me (I hosted up to 6 people in my apartment of Barcelona and then I came back home to Valladolid for 4 days). Anyway, here I am again.
 
Yesterday I was reading the last issue of Distorsió (the magazine of the students of my faculty) and I found a very interesting article about Barcelona, which states the same opinion as I did in a post wrote in my old blog, titled Barcelona S.A. (if you can read Spanish just take a look!).
 
The abstract of this article in Distorsió goes more or less like this (now I'm translating from Catalan xD):
 
For some years now, Barcelona has been promoted as a cosmopolitan city, mediterranean, multi-cultural, 'poly-ethnic' and 'supercool'. This is being done at a sperficial level, it's pure façade and nothing can be found behind. Today Barcelona is a brand rather than a true city. As a brand, it's succesful and well positioned, but also deceitful, frivolous, hypocritical and fraudulent.
 
That was something that I thought when I visited Barcelona almost 4 years ago, and I still think it somehow. Barcelona is the city that all thhe foreigners know and want to visit, the Eldorado for all the Erasmus students, the city of sun, sangría and cool buildings. As a matter of fact, Barcelona is so tourist oriented.
 
But in the other hand, the people who live in Barcelona have to pay incredibly high taxes and suffer all kinds of restrictive rules (don't drink, don't park, don't be loud, don't use your bike, don't, don't, don't), more than in any other part of Spain. Public transport is more expensive (and quite worse) than in a bigger city such as Madrid. And not to talk about the prices of drinks and discos!
 
It's really annoying when you see a bunch of hooligans walking around, making noise, being totally wasted... and policemen are just watching the scene. This happens every time that FC Barcelona plays an international match, for instance. Last time, they were even given a public space in Plaça Espanya (next to where I live) so they could do there whatever they wanted. But if you are a 'normal guy' just walking down the street holding a can of beer with your hand, beware of policemen. A ticket of 30€ is awaiting for you.
 
Being part of this huge theatre for tourists is not cheap, neither easy. But, what the hell, I still like it... this is Barcelona!

Labels:


2 comments:

Blogger Suss wrote...

Hi Nachete!!!
I think it's so ridiculous to write you in English when we both speak Spanish, but I'll try :P

I just want to say thank you for the Sunday's party, bad luck when Albert and you tried to scare us walking through that strange place called "El Raval". Think about it: we had been for 4 days sleeping with Albert... it was imposible to find something more frightening than Albert's face in the morning :P
I'll go to eat, I'm hungry. Kisses!!!!

Blogger Ignacio wrote...

Hey Sus, de hecho puedes escribir en castellano si quieres, este es un blog bilingüe :P

Pero no está mal practicar un poco el inglés de vez en cuando, ¿no? Besos ;)

PS: Me quedo con lo de "it was imposible to find something more frightening than Albert's face in the morning"... qué gran verdad :D:D:D



>> Post a Comment

trackbacks:



>> Create a Link






PREVIOUS POSTS  : :
¡Viva Cuba! (III)
¡Viva Cuba! (II)
¡Viva Cuba! (I)
Back to reality
The Eastern adventure
Everlasting fairytale
Between two worlds
Fly happy
Borders
Wise presents

SEARCH IN THE BLOG  : :


SUBSCRIBE  : :

BACK TO TOP  : :


eXTReMe Tracker