Sunday, May 10, 2009

Talking with the King

Last Monday I met the King of Spain (also the Queen and the Foreign Minister). Why? Well, it's a long story. Last summer I was working in Tallinn (Estonia), thus I registered in the Embassy. Unless you tell them otherwise, they keep you registered for a year. The King visited Estonia last week, and they organised a reception for the 'Spanish community' in Estonia. Since I still was officially registered, I was invited too.

Invitation
As usual, my name is misspelled ¬¬

So, as it's always nice to come back to Estonia (I have good reasons to do so besides the King :P) there I went, half an hour early (I think I was the first one). There weren't many of us, around 30 Spaniards (many young people doing their Erasmus program or working in Skype) and a few random people. After a not very strict security control, there we were in a small room, waiting for 'their Majesties'.

They told us to make a line and shake the King and Queen's hands without stopping: "they shake hands very fast" (they must be used to such a hard job). We did so (the King saying to everybody "Hi, how's going?") and afterwards we were in a bigger room, in which the King, the Queen and the Minister were talking with us for about half an hour.

Unfortunately I couldn't impress the Queen with my Greek language skills. But I had the chance to talk about this with the King. His answer: "Bah, no problem! You grab her and tell her HEY QUEEN! and then talk to her". I hesitated and finally I didn't follow his advice, but anyway we were laughing about this.

On the other hand, the Foreign Minister, Mr. Moratinos, suggested us to 'vote properly' on the next European Parliament Elections (damn! I didn't even remember about that). Besides that, I spent my time there chatting with some guys from Skype that I met last summer, and some Erasmus students.

I was actually expecting more 'glamour', fancier stuff. But everything was pretty simple and straightforward. We didn't even get much food, just some tiny portions pretending to be avant-garde, Spanish-inspired cuisine. We didn't even get wine, just some juice and tea. And after half an hour, everything was over and we went for a beer and then home.

On the following days I had the chance to meet some of these Spanish people. On Wednesday we went to see the football match, Chelsea-Barcelona, and in the end we went crazy with the last goal of Iniesta (beer rain and angry Chelsea supporters were included).

On Saturday we went to watch a free Spanish movie, 'La Soledad' (loneliness, a more appropriate name would have been boredom). Two hours of boring, unbearable crap. This movie was awarded with the prize to the best Spanish movie of the year, which shows how bad is our cinema... and they have the guts to say that the problems of Spanish cinmea are due to the Internet downloads! But anyway, this is a new topic...

PS: of course, we weren't allowed to take pictures of our meeting with the King. There was an official photographer instead. I don't know when (and how) will I get my picture, so until then, there's no offocial proof :P

Labels: ,


1 comments:

Anonymous Joao Rei wrote...

D. Ignacio "Mungia" (sic)
Very nice story!
I was thinking the other day, that it is more likely to meet the king or someone important of your own country when you move abroad, than it is when you live in your own country. Also, they are more relaxed and more talkative than they would be in a meeting in Spain.



>> Post a Comment

trackbacks:



>> Create a Link






PREVIOUS POSTS  : :
Athens vs. Barcelona
New projects, new challenges
Public transport shouldn't be a luxury
Restarting!
Merry Christmas... à la Grecque
Athens is burning
Yes, they could
Imagining the tenth dimension
New life, new blog
Already in Athens

SEARCH IN THE BLOG  : :


SUBSCRIBE  : :

BACK TO TOP  : :


eXTReMe Tracker